10 Health Benefits of Grapefruit
Did you know that grapefruit is a cross between an orange and a pomelo? The hybrid was named grapefruit because of the way the fruit grew in clusters, like grapes. Fresh grapefruit is low in calories with 52 calories for one fruit, zero fat, 13 grams of carbohydrates and 166 grams of potassium. They are also high in Vitamins A and C with a low glycemic index and filled with many health benefits. Below are a few of note.
1. Grapefruit is a good source of calcium, which is important for bone health, blood pressure, muscle function and osteoporosis prevention. The calcium in grapefruit is also important and unique because it’s a non-dairy and lactose-free source of calcium.
2. Grapefruit is a great source of antioxidants and Vitamin C, which has been shown to combat cancer.
3. Consuming fresh grapefruit is important for weight loss. Grapefruit has a high fiber content and is full of water, so consuming one or more throughout the day will make you feel fuller longer.
4. Because of their high water content, fresh ruby red grapefruit is great for hydration and for preventing constipation.
5. Ruby red grapefruit contains folate, essential for growth and development and for maintaining a healthy pregnancy.
6. Grapefruit is a good fruit option for diabetics because they have a low glycemic level. Also, consuming grapefruit can reduce the level of starch in the body.
7. Did you know the sweetest grapefruit can help with fatigue? Consuming fresh grapefruit can boost energy levels and be a refreshing lift any time of the day.
8. Consuming citrus such as grapefruit can help your sleep cycle. Drinking a glass of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice before bedtime may be the key to a peaceful night’s rest. This is due to the fact that grapefruit contains tryptophan.
9. Consuming fresh grapefruit can actually help alleviate a cold. Loading up on this citrus fruit may shorten the duration of a pesky cold as well as your symptoms.
10. Because ruby red grapefruit is a rich source of flavonoids, it is said to aid in boosting HDL (good cholesterol) and lowering LDL (bad cholesterol).